Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Does God LOVE Me Enough?

How many times have you heard a statement like this from someone, “If God really loved me He would prove it by healing me, my loved one, or ridding the world of crime, disease, making my marriage better, etc.”? I bet at some time in your Christian walk you might have even come close to or even uttered these words yourself. Take a quick jog with me through the Scriptures won’t you?

In Romans 5 Paul makes a THEREFORE statement, which kind of sums up Romans 4. What did he say there? That Abraham was made righteous NOT by his adherence to the law, not by his circumcision in the flesh, but by his FAITH, it was his belief in the promises of God that made him righteous. He simply believed.

Then in Romans 5:1 we get this wonderful word, “THEREFORE”  “since we are justified, (acquitted, declared righteous, and given right standing with God) through faith, let us [grasp the fact that we] have [the peace of reconciliation to hold to and enjoy] peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.”

What got my thoughts rolling for this blog was the testimony of a band I have been hearing on a station I’ve been listening to in my car lately, The Message. The band is called “Tenth Avenue North” and the DJ asked them how they came up with their song “Love is Here” and they said that people would say to them that they would love God if God would only prove He loved them by DOING X, Y, and Z. They said Romans 5:8 was their answer, and the song was born.

I nodded my head vigorously as I was listening. I have heard the same kind thing so many times. In fact, when those well-meaning Christians all those years ago were telling me to pray for the healing of my deafness, one of the things they insisted was that God LOVED me and because He did He would restore my hearing. My sister was told that God LOVED her and because He did He would send her a husband and give her many children. Neither of those things happened.

Did God LOVE either of us ANY less?

I say emphatically: NO.

He’s already proven His love for us; for YOU.

My sister is standing with the other Saints now, worshiping Him around the throne and basking in the reality of that love. Someday I will join her. Until then though, I will keep running this race with patient endurance.


Enjoy the song...XOXO


No comments: