Sunday, March 17, 2013

Garbled Gospel


 We attended Brady’s basketball closing ceremony last night.

I’ve come a long way in my approach to accepting my fellow believers where they are in their journey, because I was once way behind the curve in the road and struggling to understand grace as I panted after the Lord hoping my many works would please Him. Last night though, I had a hard time.

Last night the speaker used coarse humor sandwiched in between cries from a puppet as the puppet realizes its need for grace (who is not by the way, a hot girl) . My husband and I sat there watching as the children roared with laughter as sponge bob was given to answer as to how you may cleanse yourself from sin. No, was the obvious answer, to more roars of laughter, and so it went. At another point the kids were told they were all winners, “wieners”? the puppet retorted. A young man was brought up on stage to sing “Jesus Loves Me” but the ventriloquist had the words “and the girls” mingled into the song.

Anyone who knows me knows I am all about having fun, but not at the expense of the gospel. J.C. Ryle presented to gospel to children many times, (I love the way he spoke to children) He never spoke to them as though they were too young to understand this message, and neither did Jesus. He never felt the need to make the message relevant, by inserting ridiculous icons, and coarse humor (Wieners? Really?)  He just spoke to them about who they were (sinners) and what they needed (grace)

When my first child was born I remember my mother saying something profound to me, “you talk to him like he’s a person.” I always have, and I always will. There is life and death in the power of the tongue. Don’t waste it on foolishness.

Paul said, “For although I am free in every way from anyone’s control, I have made myself a bondservant to everyone that I might gain the more for [Christ].  To the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to men under the law, [I became] as one under the law, though not myself being under the law, that I might win those under the law. To those without, (outside) law I became as one without the law, not that I am without the law of God and lawless toward Him, but that I am [especially keeping] and committed to the law of Christ that I might win those who are without the law. To the weak (wanting in discernment) I have become weak (wanting in discernment) that I might win the weak and over scrupulous. I have [in short] become all things to all men, that by all means (at all costs and in every way) save some [by winning them to faith in Jesus Christ] And I do this for the sake of the good news (the Gospel), in order that I may become a participator in it and share in its [blessings along with you].” I Corinthians 9:19-23

John Piper has an excellent sermon on this very topic, here 

The gist of it is love.

Finally I will leave you with a remarkable video from Penn from the Penn and Teller fame, as he describes an interaction he had with a believer. We should all be so lucky to be described thus by a nonbeliever. Penn remains an unbeliever, but you can see as he talks that something about that interaction moved him.



That man who went to his show, who did not eschew a “worldly performance” planted seeds…someone else will water them….and God will cause them to grow…because he loved the gospel enough to spread it. 

Love

He loved the lost enough to interact with them, not cut himself off from them, like he was better than them. He knew he was once one of them and he had something to tell them. He didn't forget that he was once one of them. 

We have something to share.

 People ask me ALL the time, what has made you so different now from how you were then? The ONLY answer I have, is Jesus Christ. And the door to grace is flung wide open.

It has been the beat of my heart for some time…to simply love as He did.

And for the record... I don’t have any issues with wieners” aka “hot dogs” or sponge bob or girl crazy boys…just not in the middle of a presentation of the gospel of grace…there is a time and place…

That wasn’t it

No comments: