Thursday, June 19, 2014

Time to Move on?

Jeremy found himself praying late one night after a show about Melissa. It had been eight years since she passed away and he found himself thinking about all that they had walked through together. His thoughts turned to questions as he wondered if her story still had a place in the ministry and this road that God had called him to travel. Recently the thoughts had been coming that perhaps it was time to "close this chapter" of his life. As Jeremy prayed though, the Lord lay on his heart story after story of the people who had been touched by Melissa's story. And Jeremy was reminded that this painful trial was STILL a chapter of his life and of Melissa's. Sure, people had moved on, but what he lived through, what Melissa lived through, could speak encouragement and hope to others.

As I read this last chapter of Jeremy's book, I was moved to tears, because I can relate. There are times I feel like maybe its time to move past what happened at Cornerstone...perhaps its time to "close that chapter" on that painful trial; and there are people who have encouraged me to "get over it" but I know that this is STILL a chapter in my life, and my reason is the same reason Jeremy gives. Through the years I have received emails from some of YOU who have been through what I have been through, when I read the news about yet ANOTHER pastor who has fallen I am reminded that ANOTHER woman needs encouragment, and so I keep beating the drum. Here's why:

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ. Now if we are afflicted, it is for your consolation and salvation, which is effective for enduring the same sufferings which we also suffer. Or if we are comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation. And our hope for you is steadfast, because we know that as partakers of the sufferings, so also you will partake of the consolation." II Corinthians 1:1-7

Because Jeremy has, because I have, because you have gone through trouble, trials, and tribulation and you have received God's comfort, it is your responsibility to extend that same comfort to others who are walking through similar troubles.

Jeremy said this, "He has LONG since restored me from a deep, dark place back to a place of light and hope. I never want to stop sharing His faithfulness in my life."

Did you catch that? Because I did. It's something that is not often talked about in "polite" Christian circles, but something I talk about often...Christians go to deep, dark places AND they come out again and it is ok. God is with you. There is NO place you can hide from Him. One of my favorite memories is teaching my children to memorize Psalm 139:7-12 and my youngest child making flapping motions with her arms as she said verse nine, but here is it in case you need a reminder:

"Where could I go from your Spirit? Or where could I flee from Your Presence? If I ascend up into heaven You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the morning or dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there Your hand shall lead me, Your right hand shall hold me. If i say surely the darkness shall cover me, the night shall only be light about me. Even the darkness hides nothing from You, but the night shines as the day; the darkness and the light are both alike to You."

The deep, dark hole that you emerge from? I liken it to when a caterpillar goes into the chrysalis and emerges a beautiful butterfly. Now, I know the butterfly only transforms once, but that's what I think of...you go in to that dark place, die a little more to your old "wormy" ways and emerge more like Him...a little more beautiful each time.  There is no analogy that will ever be perfect, right?

Here's the deal though, when you come out, you shout about whats been done in the darkness. Tell everyone what He did to bring you back into the light. My nephew recently asked me, "How did you find your way back to your faith after what happened to you with that pastor" I responded with the truth, I didn't find my way back, He never let go of me, and He holds me still. So while I may have run to the highest heights or to the deepest depths, He has never left my side and has caught every tear I have shed and He's patiently waited for me to exhaust myself so that I could 'hear' Him once again..

Out of Jeremy's pain and darkness came a song, and I will close with that, I pray that if you are in a dark place, or have been in a dark place that you will recognize that 1) you don't have to stay there 2) He is with you in the darkness and 3) when you have come out of the darkness you will be a light to your friends and family, directing them toward the One who is the source of all Joy, you won't be able to contain it.

Listen to the words :)

XOXO

No comments: