Friday, January 25, 2013

Discontentment

...The rest of the story... Discontentment

II Discontentment
1.   What is discontentment? When does it spur us on to positive action—and when is it sinful?
Dictionary dot com defines discontentment as:
1. not content; dissatisfied; discontented.
2. lack of content; dissatisfaction.
3. a restless desire or craving for something one does not have.
4. a malcontent.
5. to make discontented; dissatisfy; displease.

The legitimate discontentment Jerry mentions is a good thing. We should not be satisfied with our spiritual growth, we should always be striving to grow more, to mature, to stretch those spiritual muscles. We should never reach a point in our walk where we feel like “AHHHHH” I’ve arrived. We will never arrive this side of heaven, and the minute we think we have we’ve become Pharisees endorsing our way to get there on other believers. Jesus is the ONLY way.

The other form of legitimate discontentment is the injustice we see every day in this sinful fallen world we live in. Even this legitimate discontentment,            we see, can quickly turn into a sinful discontentment because as Jerry mentions if we do not see the positive change we desire (which is a good desire) we may begin to allow that disappointment to negatively affect our relationship with God.

I think the third definition best relates to our personal discontentment. “a restless desire or craving for something that one does not have” Any of the examples Jerry give sound familiar?

  • ·        An unfulfilling or low paying job
  • ·        Singleness well into middle life or beyond
  • ·        Inability to bear children
  • ·        An unhappy marriage
  • ·        Physical disabilities
  • ·        Continual poor health


I would add: a child or children that were raised biblically that wandered from the path of righteousness? Financial difficulties despite faithfulness to the church?

The reality of ALL of these situations is GOD says HE alone is enough. It is really quite simplistic. He says SEEK me first and ALL these other things that you worry about and seek after will be added. We do the opposite. We seek all these other things FIRST and then if we have time we add Him to the mix. We’ve got it backwards. In my minds eye, I see Gene Wilder from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory saying “Strike that, reverse”

2.  Jerry writes, “It is our response to our circumstances rather than the degree of difficulty [in them] that determines whether or not we are discontent.” Do you agree or disagree? Why?

I agree. I had a bible study teacher tell me years ago when I was a new believer, that “feelings follow actions”. Many Christians pooh-pooh that line of thinking, but I find there is some merit to it IF your heart is right. If you are only DOING the action to get what YOU want, a  happy marriage, a better job, obedient children, then of course I disagree with the motive behind the “feelings follow actions” advice. BUT, if your sole desire is to please the Lord, and your feelings stink, but YOU know, that you know that you KNOW that God is faithful and YOUR obedience to what HE has commanded you to do is required and you are not expecting any reward other than YOUR heart be changed, then I say GO for it. Your feelings, a peaceful, calm heart, WILL follow your actions (obedience). So with Jerry I have to agree, no matter what the circumstance, a believer who trusts God like this will possess this kind of peace described in Phillippians 4:7 “And God’s peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus”

3.  One of the key verses for this session is Psalm 139:16. How might this verse help us in dealing with circumstances that tempt us to be discontent?
 Not one of our days is a surprise to God. He knows that we are going to wake up late, He knows that our child will be sick, He knows that the washer will break down and He knows that the economy is bad. He also knows what each and every one of our needs are and He tells us not to worry. He reminds us over and over again. I care for you. I have always taken care of you. YOU have not supplied your own needs, I have. Relax, I’ve got this. We need to get into the habit of realizing that EVERY SINGLE second of EVERY SINGLE day is in HIS hand. He knows. He woke us up this morning, how much more will he make sure that you and I have the things we need to do whatever it is He’s called us to do this day?

4.  Write out what this statement from the author means to you: “We must believe that the Bible’s teaching about these attributes [God’s sovereignty, wisdom, goodness] really is true and that God had brought or allowed these difficult circumstances in our lives for His glory and our ultimate good.”
To me it just reiterates Romans 8:28-29 which says: “We are assured and know that [God being a partner in their labor] all things work together and are [fitting into a plan] for good to and for those who love God and are called according to [His] design and purpose. For those whom He foreknew [of whom He was aware and loved beforehand], He also destined from the beginning [foreordaining them] to be molded into the image of His Son [and share inwardly His likeness], that He might become the firstborn among many brethren”
So then, every trial, every person in my life, every circumstance, every big event, every tiny event is meant to make me more like Him. How then can I complain?

Elisabeth Prentiss, American Author, known most for writing the hymn “More Love to Thee” but known to me by a little book she wrote called “Stepping Heavenward” penned these words that struck me: ”Helen suddenly asked. “Do you always submit to God’s will thus” “In great things I do,” I (Katy) said, “What grieves me is that I am constantly forgetting to recognize God’s hand in the little, everyday trials of life, and instead of receiving them as from Him, find fault with the instruments by which He sends them. ”Oh, if only I could recognize God’s hand in the little trials of each day and seek His wisdom and peace…and not become irritated with my children or husband or friend!”
If only Elisabeth…
I’ll leave you with the song (as has become my habit, that has been in my heart as I have studied…enjoy...


No comments: